Ransomware is a type of malware that limits the users from accessing their system. This will get done either via locking the system’s screen or by encrypting the files. Once system is infected it cannot be released unless a ransom is paid. Latest Ransomware called crypt locker forces users to pay ransom via various means such as online payment to decrypt the system/files.
How your system encounter Ransomware infection:
- Visiting compromised or malicious websites.
- Can be downloaded as attachment from spammed email, malicious page.
- Can be downloaded by means of macro, downloading vulnerable software
- Botnets, SMS messages, Mal-advertising Campaigns
Best Practices to keep your system away from Ransomware:
- Do Regular backup of your system and keep recent backup offsite.
- Keep your Antivirus up to date.
- Do Regular system update such as windows update
- Enable file extension in your system which makes easy to see types of file.
- Avoid enabling macros in document received via email.
- Do not click any emails unless you know the sender email address or its legitimate.
- Update your business application up –to-date